Monday, February 22, 2010

Weekend at the Hunting Camp

Spent Friday and Saturday nights at the hunting camp with some of the guys who are still bow hunting. I took my Caywood smoothbore, a 20 gauge Wilson trade gun, and sort of tried to get close enough to a squirrel for a shot. Though I saw a number of squirrels at about twice shooting range, I could not close on them without being seen. The woods are so wide open this time of year that it's tough to stalk. Because I was wanting to look around more than I was wanting to shoot a squirrel, I didn't sit down and stay still. Therefore, I didn't get but a couple of chances at squirrels, and those chances quickly bounced away before I could pull the trigger.

I did see about 10 deer (all does and yearlings) and about 20 turkeys during my scout. The turkeys excited everyone back at camp because we hadn't seen any turkeys since last October. There was beginning to be almost despair over the lack of turkey sightings.

Bill Scurlock

No comments:

Post a Comment