Tuesday, March 30, 2010

March Shoot


I didn't shoot last Saturday, deciding to watch the new shooters and run the shoot rather than being distracted by my own shooting, and I had just as much fun.

The shooters shot 5 shots at a standard 25-yard bull as a warm-up. Didn't really keep score, but several shooters had pretty good targets; Steven Cannon, Steve Weir, Bisquit and Tom Moss.

Our blanket shoot was a squirrel target with no scoring rings. I explained that I was going to score it as a hunter after the five shots. Head shots got the highest score, then I judged them on where the shots hit the squirrel and how much meat would have been damaged. Bill Shores placed first, Tom Moss second and Dan Creele third. The youngest shooter there, Mitchell Fellows, placed 5th. That's him in the dark t-shirt above. During the match, there was a lot of banter about shooting off ears, tails and toenails.

There was also a string shoot at about 20 yards. A paper bag was suspended by a cotton string. If a shooter cut the string, he won what was in the bag. I think there were 4-5 strings cut. It was a challenge too, because a crosswind was gusting to 25 mph. I had to add extra weight to the bags to keep them from blowing away. The string-cutters were Arnold, Odie, Justin, Steve and either Gary or Dan (sorry, wasn't paying close attention at that point).

The main thing is that we all had fun and introduced three shooters to muzzleloading.

Bill Scurlock

No comments:

Post a Comment