Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Deer Behind the Office


On Monday at about 5:30, I was driving from the office to the house and came upon a nice buck (either 6 or 8 points with a nice spread) in the field beside the pond. He just stood there about 40 yards away while I grabbed by camera. About the time I got the camera in hand, he turned and headed away. I snapped one photo, with the window still up, and it's not very good, but if you look close, you can see a red oak tree, and to the right is the deer's tail and antlers. If he had stood still a minute longer, I would have had a much better photo. I got out of the truck and followed him because he went behind the levee of the pond. Thought I might get another shot at him. I did get close (about 25 yards) but as soon as I saw him, he saw me and bolted. I didn't even get the camera up and on him that time.

Bill Scurlock

2 comments:

  1. I had the same luck the other day with some Trumpetter swans right along the road, they took flight & I got them in mid-air instead while riding my bike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter came home to visit a couple of weeks ago from Atlanta. One evening she went out to shop and when she returned there stood six deer at the beginning of our drive. When she started up the drive they ran up the drive in front of her car to our back yard and then into the woods below our house. A couple of days later my son saw two deer running through our back yard to the same area in the woods. I'm thinking that I should just forget about my tree stand and sit on my deck overlooking the woods next hunting season.

    ReplyDelete