Thursday, July 1, 2010

Pulling a Ball





I had an event last week that allowed me to test part of a new tool that I'm reviewing, as well as a previously reviewed item. These items are the Gunner's Mate by Dave Crisalli and the Virtually Indestructible Ramrod by Rob Brandt.

A friend came by the office and brought a rifle that had a stuck ball. He hadn't used the rifle for 2 or 3 years, ever since he had stuck the ball. Didn't know if it was loaded or not, but the darn thing was dirty when he put it up. So I got the V.I. Ramrod and the ball screw off of the Gunner's Mate, and went to work. Had to put some oil down the bore to finally get the ball moving. When I pulled it out, it was an obviously oversized bare lead ball. Knowing this guy who brought it in, I was not surprised.

Anyhow, the ball screw really took a bite into the ball, which was necessary give the circumstances. And the V.I. rod was great. I had to place the rod in a vise to pull against. I think that a regular rod would have been torn up. The V.I. rod is a wooden rod, so it still looks great, but it has a steel core that keeps it from coming apart. I've used it frequently in the years since I got it.

The website for the ramrod is: www.periodramrod.com and David's email is decrisalli@gmail.com

Bill Scurlock

No comments:

Post a Comment