Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Scott & Gilgun Shot Snake



Ken Scott brought me this shot snake at last year's CLA show. The brass spout was made by Chris Gilgun about ten years ago. He made a few, since he was already making one for himself, and sold the extras. The spout was duplicated from an 18th century painting that Chris saw. In the painting, the spout of a pocket flask was sticking out of a hunter's pocket.

The spout sat around for a number of years, waiting on me to make the leather snake. A few years ago I sent the spout to a friend who did excellent leatherwork and asked him to make the leather body. It sat around his place for a couple of years, during which time he was actually getting out of the leather working business. I finally contacted him again, and he returned the spout.

I then talked to Ken Scott about making the snake and sent him the spout. He did a great job of making the snake and delivered it last August.

Bill Scurlock

No comments:

Post a Comment