Saturday, October 24, 2009

One of My Deer



I ended up getting three deer, one on Saturday and two on Sunday. Two were good sized does and one was a small anterless deer that I only shot because I though it had been wounded. Guy suggested that the little deer just hadn't learned to walk yet. Very funny, but I reckon it was scared silly by Guy shooting at another deer just a few yards away from the little one. It came skipping/tripping down the trail toward me. I think maybe it slipped in the mud. Anyway, I shot it out of perceived duty and found out later that I didn't have to.

While we were looking for the deer Guy shot at, a full size doe with a yearling came to the edge of the small creek bottom we were searching and was looking at Guy. I didn't hesitate long and made the 25 yard shot that put her straight down. That's her in the photo along with my Mark Thomas rifle. The lower photo shows the pieces of the ball I found when I processed her. That was a .526 round ball before it hit a rib, the spine and the flat shoulder bone on the other side.

I fell in love with this rifle at Fort Frederick in 2007. Mark was kind enough to hold it for me while I got the money together. I bought it at the CLA show that year. I really started shooting it in 2008 and have so far shot six deer with six shots, not counting hitting with two other shots at a deer wounded by a bowhunter. One of those shots was a hit on the deer when it jumped up and ran. And the other was to finish it off.

I'll post some better pictures of the rifle and tell you more about it later.

Bill Scurlock

No comments:

Post a Comment