Monday, October 26, 2009

Deer Hunting



Last Monday evening, while still at the deer camp, I went hunting without my rifle. I already had three deer from Saturday and Sunday, and didn't want to clean another right then. So, I left my rifle at the cabin and went to the Northwest corner, where there is a feeder and a bow stand, and climbed into the stand at 4:30. The top photo shows a yearling, the first deer to come in at 5:45. The next shot shows a doe and the yearling eating corn.

It was fun being up above them in the stand when they were 10 yards from the tree. They didn't know I was there, but started getting nervous when they heard the camera clicking. I tried to take pictures when they were crunching corn so they wouldn't hear it as well.

Though I don't hunt from a tree stand, I can see why folks like it. I also don't like to hunt by a feeder, even though it's legal in Arkansas and many other states. So, though I may walk past a feeder while hunting, I prefer to be out in the woods, either sitting under a tree or against a log, or simply stillhunting my way through a creek bottom on my own hind legs. Takes patience and skill and adds a challenge to the hunt. It's not just about shooting, it's about a more basic hunt. On the six deer bagged the last two years, my furthest shot was about 40 yards.

Bill Scurlock

2 comments:

  1. Nice post - deer hunting pictures ..Keep Posting


    Ron
    deer hunting pictures

    ReplyDelete
  2. Busted,looks like my bowstand!!! What a great place to hunt. Since I'm in the same situation with only one tag left maybe I'll start taking my camera or take Pops. He needs some help getting one close enough to shoot.

    ReplyDelete