Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Deer and Coyotes 2





As I neared the levee of the pond, a coyotes streaked off of the wooded levee, across the trail and into the dense woods. I couldn't get camera or pistol up in time for a shot. In a few more steps, another coyote streaked across the trail. This one's coat was wet. So I knew where the deer was. I slipped up the back side of the levee and stuck my head up. The deer was back in the middle of the pond and looking right at me. This time I got some neat photos as the little nubbin buck got nervous and left the pond.

He certainly had picked a safe place. In that depth of water, the coyotes could not touch bottom and therefore could indefinitely be kept at bay. But only one coyote had chosen to swim. The other had stayed on the bank to await his chance. My coming along had spoiled their hunt that day.

Bill Scurlock

No comments:

Post a Comment