Thursday, December 17, 2009

Antique Eyeglasses



These glasses are one of my most fortuitous antique store finds. In 2005 I went to Dixon's Gunmakers Fair with Buford Blanton. One evening, we went up the road to eat at an old tavern. When we came out, we noticed that the antique store across the road was still open, so we crossed over and went in. I spied these glasses in a display case and asked Buford (an antique expert) what he thought. He said they looked good, but we didn't know the price. When I got a chance to ask the price, the owner said $20. I glanced across the store at Buford, and he was mouthing, "buy it." He didn't really have to tell me that, because I was already reaching for my wallet. Besides looking good and being in very good shape, they also have close to the right magnification for my eyes, so I can use them in period character.

I found the nice case at the Fort Frederick Market Fair a couple of years later. Mr. White at Avalon Forge had it and just gave it it me, though I tried to pay him.

Bill Scurlock

No comments:

Post a Comment